- Dual purpose solar light and solar mobile charger
- Its bright white light illuminates a room similarly to a 3 to 5 Watt CFL lamp
- Provides 10 times more light than a kerosene lantern
People on Atauro Island have very limited access to electricity. Of the 8,000 people living on the island, 6,800 have no access to electricity. The main village of Vila has a small electricity grid, but the generator frequently runs out of fuel, plunging homes into darkness.
Most people rely on kerosene lamps for lighting. Kerosene produces dim light and dirty smoke, and can cause injuries and housefires. Many people also use flashlights, but buying batteries and kerosene is a financial drain for families on the island, where the average monthly income is US$99.
We can connect d.light solar lanterns with families on Atauro, providing them with a clean, bright source of light. The solar lights will greatly reduce dependence on kerosene, saving families money and improving their health. Students will be able to study more easily at night, and people will also be able to use the solar lights to charge their mobile phones.
Families on Atauro Island largely depend on subsistence agriculture, farming and fishing. Roughly half of the population is under the age of 18.
Atauro is a little larger than the island of Manhattan. With mountains reaching up to 999m above sea level, most people live on the coast. The population is spread across five villages and 20 sub-villages.
Our local partner, Roman Luan, will meet with village leaders to establish a price that is affordable for the families who will benefit the most from the lights. The revenue will be returned to Kopernik to buy more solar lights for Atauro.
- Cost of domestic transportation from Dili to Atauro island
- Per diem for staff introducing the lights to communities
- Food for staff at training locations
- Transportation and fuel to reach the remote locations
- Developing the distribution system
- Contacting local authorities
- Monitoring and reporting
|Cost Type||Cost Description||Cost Unit Amount||Cost Quantity||Cost Amount|
Product - d.light S250
Cost of technology
Clearance and local duty
Wire transfer fee
Covers Kopernik's due diligence and project support costs