- How It Works
- Browse Tech
- Browse Campaigns
- Get Involved
Provide solar lights to forest communities living in Tanjung Puting National Park.
There are two main villages Sungai Sekonyer Village and Sungai Cabang Village which are located nearby to our project site in Tanjung Puting National Park. These villages who have been supporting us in our conservation work do not have access to public power supply. In order to give something back to the community who have supported our reforestation efforts, and also to maintain or even improve the support that we can get in the future we would like to trial the use of solar lights – and when and if available - other solar technology.
Supplying electricity at the village and our working site is very expensive and not practical at the moment. The solar lights will give us multiple benefits
- We can assist local people to reduce their lighting costs and ensure access to light for activities such as school, work and study.
- We can show that we are willing to help the community which will usually return to us as a better support for conservation work benefiting local people and environmental outcomes.
We also will have access to light for FNPF’s own work and be able to reduce costs and operate generators more efficiently.
There are about 100 households between the two villages plus our base camp which has 15 staff. Depending on the number of lights supplied we could benefit households of equal number (1 per family group).
|Product||Cost of the technology||10.5||25||263|
|Shipping||Cost of international shipping||256||1||256|
|Clearance and local duty||Based on the average clearance and local duty cost||1||70|
|Wire transfer fee||45||2||90|
|Paypal/other payment processing fee||3.3% average based on the average size of project and average donation amount||0.00%||0|
|Kopernik 10%||In order to cover due diligence cost that Kopernik conducts||0|
Fluctuations in currency exchange rates and shipping costs may change the final quantity of technologies shipped for this project.
FNPF will contribute the following to the trial of solar lights in Sungai Sekonyer village:
Wwe will distribute the lights to the villagers directly at Sungai Cabang, we will give them to the Head of the Village to distribute:
1. Distribution – as these villages are remote we will use our boat to distribute the lights to where most needed.
2. Socialisation – introducing the technology to locals through village structure to ensure they are well used.
3. Technical support –this would be reliant on prior training from Kopernik to ensure the lights are able to be well maintained.
4. Monitoring of the use of the lights – in the form of photos and feedback as to how they were used, problems, suggestions and broader issues.
We are unable to provide financial support due to our own funding situation