Impact Assessment:
Light Up Oecusse, Timor-Leste - Phase Three

Jan 2012 to Mar 2012
Fita Arief

By Fita Arief
Technology Monitoring Fellow

The project:
Light up Oecusse, Timor-Leste Phase Three
Technologies used:
d.light S250 Solar lantern, d.light S10 Solar lantern
Local partner:
Fundasaun Esperanza Enclave Oecusse

Kopernik, in partnership with Fundasaun Esperanza Enclave Oecusse (FEEO) made 2,339 more solar lights available in Oecusse in the third phase of the Light Up Oecusse project, 1,316 d.light S250 and 1,023 d.light S10 solar lanterns. Kopernik also teamed up with d.light to design and conduct a training workshop for all FEEO staff members to master maintenance and repair skills for d.light products.

Kopernik Fellow Fita Arief went to Oecusse in early 2012 to monitor the project's progress and conduct impact surveys.

Oecusse is an isolated enclave on the north coast of Timor, bordered by the Indonesian territory of West Timor. Approximately 45 percent of Oecusse’s population of 64,000 live below the poverty line. Almost every household in the enclave reports that there is at least one month each year when they do not have enough food to eat.

Lighting in Oecusse is a pressing problem. Very few people have access to electricity. At the time Kopernik launched the Light Up Oecusse project, 92 percent of households relied on fuel-powered kerosene or gas lamps for light because there was no other option. Aside from the negative health effects of kerosene smoke, the cost of kerosene in Timor-Leste’s rural areas is almost double the cost in urban areas, further marginalizing the most vulnerable communities.

The surveyed households reported they have reduced their monthly spending on lighting expenses by 81.6 percent on average.

The people interviewed were extremely happy with their d.light, with 75 percent finding the product 'very effective', and the remaining 25 percent as 'effective'.

One respondent said, “We don’t need to buy kerosene anymore, and we can save money to pay the children’s school fees.” Another said, “I save $20 per month.”

Full report: